Pickled vegetables (Atjar) Vegetables pickled in oil and exotic spices
- 600 g Oil
- 80 ml Pickle masala
- 40 ml Smoked paprika
- 30 ml Garlic crushed
- 2 Onions (sliced)
- 20 ml Mustard seeds
- 700 g Cabbage (shredded)
- 400 g Carrots (Julienne)
- 500 g Cauliflower (cut into small florets)
- 40 g Ginger ( chopped)
- 50 g Fenugreek seeds (whole)
- 50 g Fenugreek seeds (coarsely grounded)
- 30 ml Vinegar
- Pinch of Salt
- Prepare all the vegetables.
- Heat the oil and fry the onions for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, ginger and fenugreek seeds and fry ½ a minute.
- Add the cabbage and carrots and fry 2 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower and fry 1 minute and remove from the heat.
- Add the vinegar and mix.
- Spoon hot into jars using all the oil and distribute the Fenugreek seeds evenly.
- Place the jars in a boiling pot of water to can them. When the water comes back to a boil, set the timer for 5 minutes and remove the jars immediately. Make sure the lids pop down; if they do not, refrigerate those pickles and eat them first. With this step done it will last a week on the shelve unopened and 2 weeks in the refrigerator after opening. Storing on the shelve improve the taste.