- 185g stoned dates (chopped)
- 93g walnuts
(optional. if added reduce the amount of dates to 93g )
- 60g margarine
- 200g white sugar
- 250g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg whisked
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 250ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 2 tablespoons double cream
- 50g butter
- 65g light brown sugar
- Flour chopped dates lightly
- Pour boiling water over dates and add baking soda.
- Sift together flour and baking powder
- Cream together margarine and sugar
- Beat the whisked egg into creamed mixture with a little of the flour and baking powder. Continue beating for about a minute before adding the rest of the flour/baking powder
- Add Vanilla essence
- Add the dates and walnuts to the batter and mix well
- Pour in buttered tin (or lined with baking parchment) and bake for 40 minutes at 350F (175° c or gas mark 4)
- When the pudding is cooked, heat the brown sugar, butter and cream and simmer gently for 3 minutes.
- Pour over the pudding and place under a grill until it starts to bubble.
I would usually go overboard with the sauce. It is “sticky toffee” so the amount of ingredients for the sauce is not enough in my opinion.
My Version of the sauce
- 250ml double think cream
- 250g butter
- 500g light brown sugar
Keep boiling and stirring till it is nice and thick.